Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

From Korean Resource Center

Jump to: navigation, search

SSI(Supplemental Security Income)

▣ What is SSI? Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a Federal income supplement program. It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and it provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter


▣ Who is eligible for SSI benefit?

  • Any one who is a U.S. citizen or a qualified alien (You were receiving SSI benefits and lawfully residing in the United States on August 22, 1996, and you are Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence (LAPR) with 40 qualifying credits of work.)
  • Aged (age 65 or older)
  • Disable
  • Blind
  • Limited resource (cash, bank account, stock, saving bond, real estate, life insurance, land) for single individual $2000, for couple $3,000 is the limit.

The applicant 's monthly income (Money you earn from work, Social Security, worker's compensation, unemployment benefit, Interest, royalty, award, free food, cash from friends or relativs, shelter) should be less that the maximum SSI amount.


▣ Documents that may be required for everyone - Social Security Card or related document,

  • Birth Certificate or passport, Citizenship certificate, documents with proof of age
    • Residence information (which shows mortgage or landlord name)
    • Tax return or pay stub, bank account, Insurance, Vehicle Registration, Burial Funds
  • Disabled needs documents above and - Physician, Hospital (Clinic) name, Address, Phone number

▣ SSI Application Process?

  1. You can have an appointment to apply for benefits on the telephone or in person at your local Social Security office. (Social Security Administration Office 1-800-772-1213).
  2. Your parents or guardian can apply for children under 18 who are disabled or blind
  3. If you need the translation, you can request free translation services at SSA
  4. Have all your papers ready for the appointment and fill out the application with SSI representative.
  5. SSI will be directly deposited to your bank account
  6. When you receive SSI, you are qualified for Medicare. In some cases, you can apply for GR while waiting for SSI.
  7. If you move, change in your income, or take a lengthy trip, you have to contact Social Security office to report.
  8. If you were denied for benefits or mistreated, you can appeal.

For income eligibility guidelines, please contact the Korean Resource Center at 323. 937. 3718.


▣ Contact number Social Security Administration Office For Information, call 1-800-772-1213 or find the nearest SSI office in your local phone book directory. Click here to find near Social Security Administration office

Wilshire Center 4000 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles (Wilshire & Wilton; Korean Speaking employee available)

For more information, visit Social Security Website

Personal tools
In other languages