Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI)

From Korean Resource Center

Jump to: navigation, search

The Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI) is a state-only program to provide cash assistance to certain aged, blind, and disabled legal non-citizens who are not eligible for federal Supplemental Security Income/State Supplemental Payment (SSI/SSP).



▣ Who is eligible? To be eligible, you cannot be receiving SSI/SSP and must be:

  • 65 years or older and lawfully entered the U.S. on or before August 21, 1996; or,
  • Disabled, blind, or aged and entered the U.S. on or before August 21, 1996, (these individuals must provide proof of their Permanently Residing Under Color of Law [PRUCOL] status); or,
  • Disabled, blind, or aged lawfully entered the U.S. on or after August 22, 1996 and have a sponsor, but the sponsor is deceased, disabled or abusive (or the sponsor's spouse is abusive to the participants); or,
  • Disabled, blind or PRUCOL or qualified alien, entered the U.S. on or after August 22, 1996, and do not have a sponsor or have a sponsor who is not deceased, disabled or abusive.

Who is not eligible? You are not eligible for CAPI if:

  • You are a U.S. citizen
  • You are in a public institution
  • You are a fleeing felon
  • You are not a California resident

Am I eligible for Food Stamps or Medi-Cal? You may be eligible; however, you must apply for each program separately.

What are the eligibility requirements? In addition to immigrant status, you must meet all of the following:


  • Your monthly income, after certain amounts are disregarded, cannot be greater than the maximum CAPI benefit amount.
  • Income is anything you receive in cash or in-kind that can be used or sold to meet your needs for food, clothing and shelter. In-kind income is not cash but it is food, clothing, shelter, or something that can be used to get any of these.


  • An individual may have up to $2,000 in resources and a couple may have up to $3,000.
  • Resources are cash or other property that you can convert into cash for support. Some resources are not counted in determining eligibility, such as your principal place of residence (regardless of value) and one car (used to provide necessary transportation or does not exceed $4,500)


What are the Benefits? ● CAPI payment amounts are $10 less for an individual or $20 less for a couple than the SSI/SSP payment standards. ● An aged or disabled individual residing in his won household may receive $780 in CAPI benefits if he/she has no other income. ● An Aged or disabled couple residing in their own household may receive $1,379 in CAPI benefits if the have no other income.


How can I apply for CAPI?

You may apply in person at any General Relief (GR) District Office. You may call the toll free Central Helpline Number 1-877-481-1044 to receive an application by mail if you are homebound or in residential care.

Rights and Responsibilities

What are my rights?

  • You have the right to apply for CAPI even if you have been informed that you are not eligible.
  • You have the right to request aid and services from the Department of Public Social Services without regard to our race, sex, religion or national origin.
  • You have the right to apply for Food Stamps or Medi-Cal.
  • If you receive a written notice saying your application for CAPI is denied, you or your authorized representative have the right to appeal the action and to request a State hearing.
  • If your CAPI application is approved and you do not agree with a decision to reduce or discontinue your aid, you or your representative have the right to appeal the action and request a State hearing. You will receive a written notice regarding the proposed action, as well as one showing the result of any hearing.

What are my responsibilities?

  • Cooperate with the County on the processing of your application
  • Report all of your and your sponsor's income/resources
  • Any changes that might occur in the following categories must be reported within 10 days to your Eligibility Worker:
    • Did you move or leave your household for more than one month?
    • Have there been any changes in your household? Did you the amount of money that you pay for your household expenses change?
    • Your income-Has the amount of help for money, food, clothing or payment of household expenses you receive increased or decreased?
    • Things of value that you own-Has the value of your resources increased over $2,000 when you add them all together ($3,000 for couples) or have you bought or given any things of value away?

Has your Immigration and Naturalization Status changed?- - Central Helpline Number -1-877-481-1044


▣ Documents that may be required California ID (License, ID), Social Security Card, Alien Card (Both front and back), Most recent Bank Statement, Income statement (Federal/State/County benefit receipt, cash from relatives, baby sitting income, etc) , other income documents (life insurance, pensions, etc), Residency proof (Gas or Electricity Bills, etc). You can bring copies of these documents.

▣ What is the application process?

  1. You need to first get an application from the nearest DPSS office. If you live in Los Angeles County, you can also obtain the application at KRC. Complete the application on your own or get help from your relative, friends, or other non-profit organization offering free assistance. DPSS employee can also assist you to fill out the application. Ask if Korean-speaking employee is available.
  2. Once you have completed the application, visit SSI office and ask for a letter stating that you are not qualified for SSI benefit.
  3. If you are living with your child and getting support from your child, write and send a letter following the example below.
  4. Once you have completed these steps and have obtained the letter from SSI and your child with your application, you can submit them to the DPSS office. You can have an interview with the DPSS employee when you submit the application or get an appointment for an interview later.
  5. Once you have processed your application, you will receive a letter with the information on amount of CAPI, date, your Social Security Representative, etc. Soon after that, you will receive a green paper card, white plastic card, and the office info where you can get your CAPI aid. If there are any additional documents or information needed, you will be notified.
  6. If you are taking a trip for more than one month or your income has changed, you need to immediately report to your Social Security Representative.
  7. If you are denied for CAPI aid, you can appeal by writing within 90days. There are non-profit organizations that can help you.

Sample Letter requesting verification of ineligibility for SSI to the Social Security Administration Office

To SSI Office: I have applied for CAPI and require a letter from your office verifying that I am ineligible for SSI due to my immigration status. Thank you. Sincerely,

Sample Letter verifying type of support received from family members of applicant.

          , 2005

LA County DPSS 2415 W 6th St Los Angeles, CA 90057 Attn: CAPI unit To Whom It May Concern: Please accept this letter verifying that I, (child name), am providing for all the needs of my mother/father/parents (Just choose one), (Applicant's name) , including food, clothing, transportation, utilities and pocket expenses. Each month, I provide for the following: $ for rent $ for food $ for clothing $ for pocket expenses Should you have any questions regarding this statement, please contact me at The contact # of your child . Thank you.

Sample Note requesting Korean language assistance.

I have a completed application for CAPI. I would like to schedule an interview. Please provide me with Korean language assistance. Thank you.

For income eligibility guidelines, please contact the Korean Resource Center at 323. 937. 3718.

Contact Information

▣ Contact Information. DPSS (Department of Public Social Services) Office (Hotline 1-888-368-8288) LA County Wilshire Special (6th St & Park View; Korean speaking employee available) 2415 6th St, Los Angeles 90057 Phone 213-738-4311 For more info, please visit DPSS website

Orange County 2020 W Walnut Street, (First St & Walnut St) Santa Ana 92703 Phone 714-834-8892

Riverside County Magnolia Ave. Riverside Phone 951-358-3400

San Diego County 7947 Mission Center Phone 619-531-4703

Click here to find near Social Security Administration office.

Click here to find your DPSS Office information in the Los Angeles County.

Personal tools
In other languages