California Immigrant Higher Education Act (AB 130 and AB131)

From Korean Resource Center

Jump to: navigation, search
The below information has been adapted from the California Student Aid Commission Website. (Originally in the public domain)

California Dream Act of 2011

-The California Dream Act of 2011, authored by Assembly Member Gil Cedillo (Los Angeles), became law through the passage of two Assembly Bills, AB 130 and AB 131.

-AB 130 allows students who meet AB 540 criteria to apply for and receive non-state funded scholarships for public colleges and universities.

-AB 131 allows students who meet AB 540 criteria to apply for and receive state-funded financial aid such as institutional grants, community college fee waivers, Cal Grant and Chafee Grant

Download PowerPoint HERE

How the Californian Dream Act works for the UC System (Information from University of California, website:

If you are not a citizen or eligible non-citizen but meet the requirements for an AB 540 nonresident tuition exemption, you may be able to pay in-state tuition and fees and could qualify for some forms of financial aid.

What's available

You could be eligible for the following types of aid:

-Privately funded UC scholarships (beginning in January 2012)

-Other UC scholarships and grants (beginning in January 2013)

-Cal Grants (beginning in fall 2013)

What you need to do

If you think you might be eligible for an AB 540 nonresident tuition exemption, take these two steps:

1. Submit a California Dream Application as soon as possible after it becomes available (expected by April 2, 2012).

2. After you are admitted to a UC campus where you intend to enroll, submit your Statement of Legal Residence. If you then receive a nonresident classification from the campus residence deputy, submit a California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request or a University of California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Application and Affidavit, available at your campus registrar's office or website. You may be asked to provide official high school transcripts and proof of high school graduation.

Once you have completed these steps, the campus will notify you of any financial aid for which you are eligible.

California Dream Act, Frequently Asked Questions

1. Question: Can undocumented students go to college?

Answer: Yes

2. Question: My children are under E2/F1/F2 visa do they qualify for AB540 or the California Dream Act?

Answer: No, unfortunately the requirements are for them to go through 3 years of high school and graduate, but also be undocumented.

3. Question: My children are undocumented, but they have been accepted to college(s)/universities(s), could they obtain financial aid?

Answer: Yes, there are a several ways.

First there is the AB540, which was passed as a law in California. It requires the student to have gone through a Californian high school for 3 years, have graduated, and requires that the student be undocumented.

AB540 Form should be turned in before enrolling in classes. It should be available from the respective college/university, internet search, or our website at ( which also explains how to write out the form.

Also, the California Dream Act passed, which has 2 parts:

(AB130): With this law, even though the student may be an undocumented AB540 student, they would be eligible for scholarship that was sent by private organizations or sources to the school. Every school has a scholarship resource center in which students could now ask about private scholarships that were donated to the school.

(AB131): California Dream Act Application is also available to apply. The law is for AB540 eligible students, so that they could receive financial aid from the state (including Cal Grants). This website ( is for the online application.

4. Our family did not do an income tax, can our children still benefit from the California Dream Act?

Answer: Yes, but income has to be proven in other ways than the income tax.

켈리포니아 드림법안 (ab130/ab131)자주 묻는 질문들

1. 질문: 서류미비 학생들도 대학교에 갈수있나요?

답변: 네

2. 질문: 저희 아이가 F1/F2/E2 visa 인데 AB540 / 캘리포니아 드림법안 해택을 받을수 있나요?

답변: 죄송하지만 학생분은 자격조권이 안됩니다.

3. 질문: 저희 아이가 서류미비인데 대학에 붙었어요 경제적인 도움을 받을수 있나요?

답변: 네 몆가지 방법들이 있습니다.

AB540 이라는 캘리포니아 주에서 통과된 법안이 있습니다. 학생분 이 캘리포니아 에서 3 년 이상 다녔고 졸업 하셨고 서류미비인 상태이면 AB540 법안 덕분에 거주민 학비로 다닐수 있습니다.

AB540 서류는 학교 합격 후 수업에 임하기 전에 내셔야 합니다. AB540 서류는 대학교에서, 인터넷 검색, 아니면 저희 민족학교 웹사이트에서 받으실수 있습니다. 서류 작성 방법 까지도 저희 민족학교 웹사이트에 ( 설명되입습니다

그리고 캘리포니아 드림법안 계정 되었습니다.

(AB130): 학교마다 장학금 정보 쎈터가 있는데 이제 서류미비라도 사립단체에서 학교에게 기부한 금엑은 학생분이 지원할수 있습니다. 학생분께 장학금 정보 쎈터를 찾아가서 사립장학금 리스트를 달라고 하세요.

(AB131): 캘리포니아 드림법안 신청서도 지금 나와 있습니다. 주에서 주는 경제적 도움을 AB540 해택 받들수 있는 학생들이 지원할수 있는 법안입니다 (캘 그렌트 포함). 이 웹사이트에 ( 인터넷상 시청서로 지원하실 수 있습니다.

4. 질문: 저희 가족이 세금보고를 안했어요 캘리포니아 드림법안 해택을 받을수 있나요?

답변: 네 하지만 소득을 세금보고서 말고 다른 방법으로 증거가 되어야 합니다.

Personal tools