2014 Deferred Action for Parental Accountability

From Korean Resource Center

Jump to: navigation, search

On November 20, 2014, President Barack Obama announced that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) would not deport certain undocumented parents of U.S. citizens and parents of lawful permanent residents (LPRs). Under a directive from the secretary of DHS, these parents may be granted a type of temporary permission to stay in the U.S. called “deferred action” as part of the Deferred Action for Parental Accountability (DAPA) program. Deferred action is a kind of administrative relief from deportation that has been around for decades. Through deferred action, DHS authorizes a non–U.S. citizen to remain in the U.S. temporarily. This individual may also apply for an employment authorization document (a work permit) for the period during which he or she has received deferred action. Deferred action is granted on a case-by-case basis. Even if you meet the requirements outlined below, DHS will ultimately decide whether to grant you deferred action. Deferred action granted under DAPA and the expanded Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program will be valid for three years and will be renewable. Deferred action is temporary. However, the federal government will consider a deferred action recipient to be lawfully present in the U.S. for the length of time that the individual has deferred action status. Who is eligible for the DAPA program?

  • Information will be available approximately 180 days following the President’s November 20, 2014 announcement.

To be eligible for the DAPA program, you must:

  1. Be the parent of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.
  2. Have continuously lived in the U.S. since January 1, 2010.
  3. Have been present in the U.S. on November 20, 2014. It is also likely that you will need to be present in the U.S. every day from now until you apply for DAPA.
  4. Not have a lawful immigration status. To meet this requirement, (1) you must have entered the U.S. without papers, or, if you entered lawfully, your lawful immigration status must have expired; and (2) you must not have a lawful immigration status at the time you apply for DAPA.
  5. Have not been convicted of certain criminal offenses, including any felonies and some misdemeanors.

What evidence will I need to prepare?

  1. Two 2X2 passport pictures
  2. (At least) $465 payable to the Department of Homeland Security
  3. Proper forms of identification, such as passport or national identification card
  4. Proof of entrance into the U.S. before January 1, 2010, such as an I-94 or stamp in passport. Or bring proof that you were living in the U.S. at that time.
  5. Proof of U.S. presence from January 1, 2010 until present.
Personal tools
In other languages