On Monday, February 16, U.S. District Court Judge Andrew Hanen of Brownsville, Texas, who has previously expressed anti-immigrant views, issued a preliminary injunction that temporarily blocks the implementation process of the expanded Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and new Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents (DAPA) programs that President Obama announced in November 2014.
It is clear that President Obama has the long-standing legal authority to use this executive power to protect immigrant families and he is not the first to do so. Throughout history, numerous presidents have addressed the difficulties of immigrants through executive action. Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush took bold executive action on immigration to provide millions of people with relief from deportation.
What you should know:
1. The lawsuit does not have any effect on those who already received DACA.
2. The lawsuit does not have any effect for those who need to renew DACA.
3. Those who are eligible under DACA announced in 2012 can still apply.
4. DACA Expansion and DAPA will take effect shortly. We are just awaiting the result of the lawsuit
5. Continue to prepare for DACA Expansion!
6. Call KRC Hotline for more information 323-680-5725